[d4] johor bahru-pontian kechil

The main road out of Larkin is quiet first thing in the morning and I'm soon at Skudai, where I turn south-east off the highway and head towards Gelang Petah.

Storm clouds gather and as I reach Gelang Petah it's beginning to drizzle. I shelter at an Indian restaurant in the town and drink hot sweet tea while watching the main shower pass.

With storm clouds still threatening, I strike out for Pontian Kechil. The weather never really clears, with steady drizzle settling in for the remainder of the ride. Home for the night is the Travel Hotel on Jalan Delima — a small hotel with the apt motto "cleanliness is our way of life". The staff are welcoming and happily let me store my bike for the night in the first-floor reception area. From my room I have a sweeping view over the Straits of Malacca, a view I subsequently bespoil by hanging wet laundry out to dry on the sills of the open windows.

July 18 | 69.1 kilometres | 3:39 | 18.9 km/h average

No comments: